Thursday, August 24, 2006

Balancing everything

Med school classes officially started on Monday, so I've been busy studying as much as I can all week. I'm realizing I didn't have quite as much time as I thought I had, and my decision to keep my job working with autistic kids on Tuesday/Thursday nights makes both those days very long (especially since we had anatomy lab all afternoon Tuesday). Today after lecture I came home to take a quick nap and ended up sleeping for 3 hours! I guess the new schedule (and less sleep) has caught up with me a little.
I absolutely love my job working with autistic kids though. It's one of the most rewarding things I've done. I started last March, and have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know each of the kids that we work with and helping them learn new skills and work towards adaptive independence. The little boy pictured is Alec, 5, one of my favorite kiddos to work with. He struggles with speech, and getting out the words he wants to say. So any kind of interactive play we do that gets him talking is great (this week we were "making" a chocolate cake).

No comments: